Hello friends! I know winter is coming to an end, but I figured I would post a winter packing list anyway. If you’re planning on heading to the Grand Canyon in the winter, it can be hard to know what to pack. Also, if you’re thinking of going to the Grand Canyon, I highly recommend going in the winter or toward the end of winter. It’s cheaper to fly to a nearby city, and there are way less tourists.
My friends and I were gifted with beautiful weather while in the park mid-February. There was still snow here and there, and the temperature at night was downright chilly. But I would also be wary of icy and snowy trails while exploring the park in the winter, especially in areas the sun can’t reach.
Grand Canyon Packing List (Winter)
- Pullover (think Patagonia or L.L. Bean)
- Fleece-lined long sleeve exercise shirts
- Fleece-lined exercise leggings
- Long socks
- Shoes or hiking boots with good tread on the bottom (I wore running shoes)
- Coat, to wear mostly at night when temperatures really drop
- Sports bras
- Long sleeve and leggings that aren’t fleece-lined just in case the weather is really nice/if you’re not hiking that much
- Reusable water bottle (I would have another water bottle stashed in your car for when you come back)
- Snacks to bring while hiking (think high calorie, high carb bars)
- Small backpack
- Camera (if you love taking pictures!)
- Lotion and/or sunscreen
- Chapstick with SPF
When packing for the Grand Canyon, it’s important to make sure you have plenty of layers (a base long sleeve top, a thick pullover that’s fleece-lined, and maybe a coat or jacket). Depending on the weather, you might be fine with just a fleece-lined long sleeve top! Temps vary from 30-60 degrees (F) in the winter. My boyfriend and I were only able to bring a backpack each on the plane, so if you’re in the same position, definitely be prepared to rewear things! Also, your shoes will get dusty, so don’t bring your best pair of exercise shoes.